I was recently browsing through the SWFs and FLAs I’ve collected over the last few years because I thought they were interesting or unique. During my reminiscing, I stumbled on this vein-1 experiment by Mike Johnson from May 2002.
It caught my eye, and I decided to rebuild it in OOP, and spice it up a bit. I wanted to make it look like an old anatomy textbook come to life. My fiance thinks it’s creepy, so I must have done ok – judge for yourself though, the result is below (warning: it’s fairly CPU intensive, and requires FP7).
I’ll be releasing the code to this once I’ve cleaned it up a bit. I’ll also be talking a bit about how it came together at my upcoming conference sessions.
Also, to give credit where due, the original experiment by Mike was part of a 25 lines experiment. I’ve nearly doubled that for the Vein itself, and then nearly doubled it again to add camera motion, grids, and labels.
UPDATE: The source code for this experiment is available here.