I showed this experiment at FitC Toronto, then forgot to post it until today.
I’ve been experimenting on and off with grass simulations in ActionScript 3 (ex1 , ex2) for a little over a year. I recently rewrote the logic to draw the grass and wanted to build out a new experiment to use it. (I’ll be posting a bit about the drawing mechanism in the next day or two)
The result was cutByTheWind, which you can see below. I tried to do something that was more cinematic than most of the pieces I’ve built to date, and had some form of open ended narrative. This isn’t really my usual forte, but I’m fairly happy with the results. It is very CPU intensive, so don’t be surprised to hear your fans start up.
Special thanks to Keith and his lovely wife for translating the title into Japanese.
Even after more than a decade of working with Flash, I’m still amazed by the visual complexity you can create in such a tiny file (~5kb in this case).